This week’s Top Five:
1. Science Lessons- We are loving our science curriculum (Simply Charlotte Mason’s 106 Days of Creation Studies). We are on Day 2- Air. So we played around with air pressure. The experiments we did were amazing to behold. Now when I tell the kids it’s time for science, they cheer! It’s a real treat!
2. New Phonics Lessons- I was trying to work individually with each child and do the type of lesson I described last year with letters and words on slips of paper and creating the sentence and while the children were enjoying these lessons (they love the books we are going through), I was not. They dragged on for so long. X-man did not seem to retain the words he had learned. So, I created some phonics lesson worksheets based on the books they are reading. This went much more smoothly. Instead of dreading phonics and putting it off until the end of the day and then half the time not getting to it at all, I can supervise both lessons at the same time and we do it much earlier in the day! I am delighted with the progress I’ve seen and the kids seem to be enjoying them as well.
3. Exercising with the kids. I did some sit ups with my legs in the air and the kids decided they wanted “airplane” rides on my feet while I did sit ups. It was quite the workout and we laughed a lot.
4. Nature collection at the Park. The kids decided they wanted to make little tents out of natural things they found around the park. So they gathered some sticks and grass. When they found leaves that had fallen to the ground, X-man called out excitedly, “Mom! It’s fall! Look!” Wow! They learned -and remembered- something from our nature studies last year! I’m so excited and so inspired to get back into our nature walks!
5. Swimming at Grandma’s house on a hot Friday afternoon. It was great fun. They loved riding in the boat. Eventually, Princess K declared herself captain and decided to search for new land across the pool. So she christened herself Columbus and her boat the Santa Maria and told her little brother to paddle her across the sea… er… pool.
Finally, this weekend, a significant event occurred in the life of our oldest child: he lost his first tooth!
We have our books and are gearing up to travel to 1607. Jamestown, here we come!