After last week’s lovely catch-up week, we were refreshed and ready to resume our regular schooling and studies. The weather was nice and autumn is beautiful, so we took a lot of nature walks this week. Our math focus this week was clocks and we kept plugging away at our handwriting and phonics work.
Our top five awesome moments this week:
1. Pilgrims- We began our studies of pilgrims this week by reading Pilgrims of Plimoth and starting the book Stories of the Pilgrims. We began our studies on Monday when I sent the kids into the time machine while I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. When they came out, I was dressed up as a pilgrim! Well, sort of. I had a tablecloth wrapped around my waste, cloth napkins as my collor and apron, and a basket liner hat. The kids were pretty amazed anyway and asked me all sorts of questions about my family and my life and I told them to call me Mrs. Eaton. Every day that I read to them from Pilgrims of Plimoth, I was dressed like that pilgrim. I really look forward to next week when I read them Sarah Morton’s Day and Samuel Eaton’s Day.
2. Our enthusiasm last week for drawing led us to want to continue this enjoyable pasttime this week. So instead of having our normal notebooking pages for history, I pulled out my Draw Write Now book that contains directions for drawing pilgrimy things and we drew a picture that matched our reading every day. It was a lot of fun and I have to admit that I spent more time on my pictures than the kids did on theirs. They were off playing while Mommy was finishing her schoolwork.
3. Our nature walks and studies were great fun and the time we spent jumping in the autumn leaves was enchanting. A beautiful, breezy day with the fragrance of fallen leaves, and the laughter of delighted children- a perfect moment in time. We also drew seeds and leaves in our nature journals and identified a few trees, which made us feel very proud of ourselves.
4. Baking zucchini bread and muffins with the kids and then eating them- yum!
5. Friday Family Fun Night this week included pizza, popcorn, and the movie, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe. The kids loved it and it was so much fun to watch it all together. This morning, the boys found some swords and we made a bow for Princess K- I’m sorry, excuse me, I mean Queen Susan- and they played Narnia battles.